Saturday, February 19, 2005

Season On The Brink

(Just to preface this, I am extremely hung over right now and it is 5pm. In the evening. )

Ok, for the now three of you reading this (three as in total sum of people reading, not meaning three simultaneously. Although that could be possible, just very very unlikely), i want to write a little about WIS. Usually the WIS (What If Sports) conversational rantings are reserved for the Rockhampalace Message Board, but since my antics have gotten lengthier, I will use this forum instead.
On a sidenote (literally), the Judges' writing style that our Law School buddy must read, the ones with lots of commas and such, are eerily similar to how I write. I know I could never be a journalist since I don't know how to use these: or these; and almost all of my sentences are runons.
A quick recap of my What If Sports career. I am in my 4th season at Cal Tech, and was passed over for 3 coaching jobs last season, one of which was outmatched by some terrible guy who is now my nemesis, even if he has no idea who or what I am. I was contemplating both opening up a new account and taking over Pamona (which would have kinda been like hooking up with someone's, in this case Josh's, ex-girlfriend) or just plain quitting. But, I had 5 Scholarships to fill and worked my butt off in recruiting. I am happy to say that I am entering my most anticipated season ever, thanks to two words: David Ortega and I got two more words for you: Yeah Baby. I would be lying if I said I wasn't not not extremely excited for this upcoming year. Season 4 is my season. It is the magic number, just look at this. I have 4 starting Freshman. 4 players starting for 4 years. 4 of my starters last names start with the letter B. B is the second letter in the alphabet and last names appear second on the screen, 2 X 2 = 4. This is my 4th season. My conference has a 4 letter monogram SCIA. It's over. I win!
Back to Ortega, this kid is AWESOME! I don't know how I got him, but he is a godsend. Right now, he is almost identical to the preseason all American senior PG in all ratings, except speed. He could possibly be a 3 year All American and be the conference player of the year as a Freshman. I am absolutely GEEKED.
But here is the conundrum. Do I stay with these kids the next 4 years and try to win a championship, or bolt at my first D2 job offer? I think this last season I finally figured recruiting out. I now have a better grasp of playing time woes (as that bit me in the ass last season) and I constantly monitor practice allocations. I heart What-if. The conference I am in, the message board is always buzzing, which wasn't prevalent in The Two last season.
(Dimes, seriously consider joining back up. You can spend 10 minutes a day before you go to bed, making your roster moves, and it is sooooo worth it.)

Ok, I'm off to finish the epilogue of Buster Olney's "The Last Yankee Dynasty". More on that topic tomorrow. Great read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home